Saturday, August 22, 2009

A Hopeful Sign

Yesterday I and many other others in the LGBT community were overjoyed to hear the news that the ELCA, the largest Lutheran organization in the U.S. had voted to permit committed, lifelong relationships for LGBT clergy.

This is truly a historic step, one that I am confident will not only allow pastors to serve in open recognition of their committed relationships but will also serve as a sign of hope for young people and those still living in the closet. I'm convinced that the more the church recognizes the full dignity of its LGBT daughters and sons the more it will help those same women and men to find hope and meaning in their lives. Although there is still much work to be done, this is an encouraging step and one that hopefully other churches and religious organizations will follow in the future.

Peace,
Padre Chuck

No comments: