Wednesday, February 11, 2009

It's Okay



Beautiful people round the earth,
let's come together because I believe
that you and I,
we can change the world.

Oh, I know,
there’s somewhere else you’d rather be,
a better place for you and me.
I’ve seen it in the eyes of a child.

So tell me, you won’t give up on me this time
No, help me live this dream I have behind
The future won’t deny
The words are written clear on my heart

World, It’s Okay….

I believe that we were meant to love and to discover
that every heart has a home somewhere in this world
Oh I know, we’ll take the road to higher ground
until we bring the world around
and wipe away the tears of a child.

Your eyes say, tomorrow will be brighter still
a new day, where love will overcome and we will
walk hand in hand
until the whole world understands.

World…It’s Okay

I am just one voice
and I will make a choice
I’m crying, I’m crying out for peace
We’re standing up for love
and we will not give up
Let’s join our hands,
join our hearts and sing.

World, It’s Okay

We are our own voice
and we have made our choice
We crying out, crying out for peace
We’re standing up for love
and we will not give up
Let’s join our hands,
join our hearts and sing.


This song, "It's Okay" is one of my favorite songs by one of my very favorite groups, Jason & deMarco. As a loving same-sex couple dedicated to spreading the Good News of God's love for all people they continue to be an inspiration to me and many others.

I think in particular this song does a beautiful job of simply showing that it's okay to be who you are. Whether that's transgender, straight, lesbian, bisexual, gay - it's okay. It's okay to be who we are before God and to feel and share the love God has placed inside all of us.

And whether others like it or not, we are here to stay. As they lyrics of this song say, we will not give up. We will not sit by any longer and let anyone take away the joy that is our birthright as believers in God. We will not allow anyone to deny us the dignity that is ours as human beings and daughters and sons of God. By standing and singing together as one we shall overcome and the message of God's reign and care for the poor and the oppressed will be heard through us - together.

Blessings,

Padre Chuck

No comments: