Monday, January 12, 2009
Down To the River
One of the great things about writing a blog like this is that you get to share the things that really mean a lot to you, even if perhaps they don't appeal to everyone and might get a bit repetitive. If that's the case with all the music that I share here then I do beg forgiveness from those of you who've been faithful followers of my blog. It's just that, for me, music is a path to God - a way that God speaks to me and helps me to know that all will be well and that there are so many reasons to be grateful and to find hope and peace within.
In any case this song, "Down To the River," is a folksong that refers to the Christian rite of baptism, usually metaphorically but also sometimes literally performed in an actual river. This song is very meaningful to me because it is one I sang recently as part of a homily I gave in the church where I now am both attending regularly and also serving from time to time. It really is so meaningful to me to be able to be there both to worship and praise God in a place where my husband's and my love is recognized as sacred and where I can also continue to serve in ordained ministry.
For many years I never thought it would be possible to combine those two things -- love for and service to God and self-acceptance and affirmation -- but God certainly has had Her surprises for me along the way and I know She continues to work similar miracles of grace in the lives of many others, too. May all of us know God's grace and peace in our hearts and allow God's Spirit to move in us and call us forth into lives of faith and service.
Peace,
P. Chuck
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment