Saturday, January 17, 2009

A Threat to Humanity?

For today's entry I must beg of my readers a little forbearance as I indulge in some mild sarcasm of tone. Although I don't normally appreciate sarcasm, I thought it might be appropriate in emphasizing a point I would like to make.

In any case, as a dear friend and I like to joke sometimes, we're often amazed at how gravely threatened humanity and the earth must be, what with the likes of "dangerous" homosexuals like me and others around. Granted, no group of human beings is perfect and the LGBT community is certainly no exception, but on the other hand - despite our flaws - many of us queer people actually do manage to contribute something once in a while to society and, dare I say, even to our church communities.

Take my day today, for example. So this morning I got out of bed, had breakfast, went to get a computer fixed and am now in the midst of working. This evening I'm going with my husband to cook food for a homeless shelter and then getting ready for church tomorrow. Pretty dangerous, eh? The foundations of society are crumbling, no?

Now I'm far from the most virtuous or dedicated person in the LGBT community. There are countless queer folk out there who, whether spiritual or not, are serving their communities, raising their children, and contributing to society in remarkable ways. For that reason, perhaps the most important thing anyone who's not familiar with the movement can do is just get to know some of us. No, we're not perfect, but then again last time I checked neither was the straight community. Maybe in meeting some of us and our families you or others you know might come to see that we're people just like you - folks who just long for the same things all of us do - love, peace, justice and the chance to live lives that make a difference for our families, friends and communities.

Many thanks as always for reading and now I'm off to go extend my pernicious influence in the world...okay, end of sarcasm...for now! :)

Love and peace,
P. Chuck

No comments: