Saturday, May 2, 2009
Save Me
Not much time to blog in these weeks with my upcoming exam but I did want to make a recommendation of an excellent film I saw recently. It's called Save Me and is the story of a young man battling both drug addiction and the homophobia that's also condemned him.
Although his initial step out of addiction comes through the help of a so-called "change ministry" (one of a number of religious groups that misguidedly attempt to alter individuals' sexual orientation), eventually he learns that healing, spirituality and self-acceptance need not be mutually exclusive categories in his life.
Among its many strengths, I think this film does a particularly good job of illustrating some of the complexities of the question of how to reconcile faith and one's personal identity. This is often not an easy task but, as the film shows, it is also one that rewards those who undertake it with sincerity, openness, honesty, and integrity.
Blessings,
Padre Chuck
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment