Friday, December 12, 2008
Gracias Virgencita, Nuestra Madre
Today, December 12th, is a very special day for many people of faith in Mexico, Latin America and throughout the world - the day in which her many daughters and sons commemorate the apparition of Our Lady of Guadalupe in Mexico in the earliest days of the Spanish conquest. Although many years have passed since her devotion began, Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe continues to speak to the millions of pilgrims who visit her shrine each year - sharing with them her unmistakable message of compassion, welcome and acceptance, especially for those who are most marginalized and disowned by society.
In my own life I've felt touched and embraced by la Guadalupana in some amazing ways. Each time I've had the chance to visit her shrine I've felt a warm sense of welcome and acceptance there - a feeling that I was accepted and embraced exactly as I am. In fact, over the years as I've both affirmed my vocation to ministry and journeyed out of the closet toward acceptance of myself as a gay man I've sensed that she's been with me every step of the way, guiding me and helping me to know that, although the institutional church still lags far behind in getting the message that love between two men or two women is equally blessed by God, I know that Nuestra Madre understands the true love and compassion of God and desires to share them with me and all of her many children.
As today's reflection I'd like to offer this video footage of Mexican singer Marco Antonio Solis singing before the image of Nuestra Madre on her feast day. I would like to dedicate today's entry as well in thanksgiving to la Morenita for walking with me through this journey and especially for my visit to her shrine this past summer - when I stood before her with two very special people in my life, both of whom I know I met through her special care - a dear friend who has become a sister to me and the wonderful man who has become my life partner and husband.
Gracias, Vigencita por tu intercesión por nosotros. Ayúdanos en nuestro camino y ruega por nosotros, tus hijos LGBT, para que a través del amor de tu hijo salgamos de las tinieblas y econtremos contigo y en él la plenitud del amor y de la paz. Amén.
Bendiciones,
P. Chuck
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment