Since I began my reflections here last month I've wanted to share both a little about myself and also some of the resources I've found helpful in my own journey. Although I don't want this blog to just be about me, I do think it's important that I share here from time to time both where I'm at personally and where I've come from spiritually and vocationally.
I was ordained a Roman Catholic priest four years ago and since then have worked in parish ministry and in a variety of other contexts and communities. Over the course of that time I have also come to peace with being gay and from my studies and reflections am convinced that there's nothing in either the Bible or church tradition that need condemn loving same-sex partnerships. For that reason, in my own conscience I knew that I was free both to continue pursuing my vocation to ministry and to do so in the context of the kind of loving relationship I'd always longed for.
In the context of this very personal journey, where this blog comes in is with the responsibility I take very seriously from my ordination to serve the People of God and help them to come to know the love, mercy and compassion of God in their lives. Just as others in church history have felt obligated in conscience to dissent from certain teachings in order to serve a more essential obligation, so I feel that I must take a stand against what I have known in my own life and seen in the lives of others to be teachings (namely, those would deny the validity of loving same-sex partnerships) that stifle rather than promote life, dignity and human flourishing.
What's very important to realize is that nothing I say is necessarily "the" truth. Mine is just one voice and each of us has to look at questions like those I deal with here and discern for ourselves. Some may conclude that the institutional church is correct and I can understand that. I don't agree but I also understand how some come to that conclusion, especially without the benefit of the time I and others have had to reflect on these questions. What I'd most hope for here is that anyone who's open to thinking and praying through these questions might consider doing so with me and other lesbians, gay men, and bisexual and transgendered people of faith. Maybe you won't fully agree with us but perhaps there's something to be gained in the process of learning to see how many of us have experienced God's liberating grace, love and care in our lives.
Many thanks for reading, praying and reflecting here with me and I look forward to continuing to walk together in faith.
Peace,
P. Chuck
Tuesday, December 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Dear P. Chuck,
Say we agree on same-sex unions. Do you consider extramarital sex (homosexual, or heterosexual) a sin?
Basically, it becomes much more difficult to tell where one draws the line, once one dissents from Rome, and I am curious what your opinion is on this matter. It would help me to understand whether you are arguing that monogamous same sex *marriage* is permissible, or whether the RCC is wrong about sexuality in a broader sense.
God bless.
Thanks for your question. In terms of extramarital sex, I believe that sex, as the most intimate form of communion between two people, should be reserved for marriage. Your larger point is also a good one - how to express disagreement and yet promote the broader aspects of the tradition is a challenge.
A few more thoughts on church authority...Many Catholics, after examining the issues involved and praying through them, in good conscience sometimes dissent from some church teachings. While this situation is unfortunate in many ways I think it's also just part of how the church has always been - a large family of believers with a core set of beliefs all share.
Some of the less central teachings change over time as science and the human sciences advance and so part of the reality is that in each generation, when it becomes evident than some of the things the institutional church either says or does no longer promote the more central message of the Gospel, it is imperative that those who realize this respond. It can be a difficult process but it's the way that change happens over time in the church.
Just some food for thought...
Post a Comment