As religious leaders point out to us from time to time, it is important to remember that -- on the last day of creation -- God too rested from God's labors. Although there is so much work to do in educating our sisters and brothers about God's love, it is also appropriate for all of us to take some time each week on whatever day is meaningful in our tradition to reflect, give thanks and restore our energies.
In that spirit, I'd like to share here a reflection for the day. This particular meditation comes from the Buddhist tradition and reminds us of the importance of taking a few moments from time to time to just sit where we are and re-ground ourselves and our energies. From there, we can return to our work refreshed and enlivened for the journey ahead.
Peace,
P. Chuck
OPENNESS TO WHERE YOU ARE
In human life, if you feel you have made a mistake, you don't try to undo the past or the present, but you just accept where you are and work from there. Tremendous openness as to where you are is necessary. This also applies to the practice of meditation, for instance. A person should learn to meditate on the spot, in the given moment, rather than thinking, "...When I reach pension age, I'm going to retire and receive a pension, and I'm going to build my house in Hawaii or the middle of India, or maybe the Gobi Desert, and THEN I'm going to enjoy myself. I'll live a life of solitude and then I'll really meditate." Things never happen that way.
From "The Bardo of Illusory Body," in TRANSCENDING MADNESS: THE EXPERIENCE OF THE SIX BARDOS, page 96.
Sunday, November 9, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment